Contently Is Looking for Freelance Managing EditorsBy Dillon Baker November 16th, 2017
Attention editorially-minded, independent solution-finders: Contently is hiring freelance managing editors, and we want you to apply.
As a freelance managing editor, you’ll help Contently clients—some of the world’s most recognizable brands—craft high-quality and engaging content that drives strategic business goals. A daily resource and partner for our clients, you’ll provide both editorial guidance and project management expertise.
Our freelance managing editors bring impressive copy and narrative chops to ensure the highest quality stories, while also wrangling contributors, managing a publishing schedule, and ensuring that each and every piece of content aligns with our client’s marketing strategy.
We pride ourselves on the variety of subject matter areas our editors can cover, so apply regardless of your particular beat or expertise. Generalists are always welcome. Special attention will be paid to those with finance and health and science experience.
You’ll work remotely on a freelance contract basis and must have access to necessary tools (computer hardware and software, reliable phone and Internet service, and so on).
General responsibilities of a managing editor:
Manage client projects and strategy
• Participate in bi-weekly client calls and manage daily correspondence
• Suggest angles for coverage
• Establish an editorial calendar that aligns with client’s content plan
• Set deadlines and rates and adjust as necessary with client approval
• Consult with account managers to stay up to date on account milestones, or surface areas of opportunity for account enhancement
• Consult with senior managing editors on contributor issues, client strategy, and project needs as necessary
• Present to senior managing editor a monthly production report to help inform ongoing content strategy
• Create a quarterly report on content performance and important metrics to share with client, including recommendations for future content
• Request, evaluate, select, and periodically refresh the contributor team
• Train contributors on client’s content strategy and expectations
• Assign stories to appropriate contributors
• Set story prices according to the agreed-upon rate card
• Coach and provide feedback to contributors
Request pitches and initiate content requests
• Consult with clients to craft and hone story ideas, request contributor story pitches, and provide feedback
• Advise clients on relative strength of pitches as they pertain to the content plan and client’s goals
• Create story briefs aligned with content strategy; ensure briefs are actionable by contributors
• Ensure stories fulfill brief requirements and brand guidelines, including SEO keywords, images, tags, and social content
• Ensure alignment of story structure, voice, and tone with content plan
• Edit and proofread stories on sentence level (grammar, punctuation, syntax, etc.)
• Check all facts and annotations and verify sources
Compensation is competitive, billed hourly, and paid monthly. If you’re interested, here’s how to apply:
- Register with Contently by creating a free Contently portfolio.
- Fill out the form below with your relevant experience and areas of expertise. A member of our editorial services team will be in touch with next steps, if appropriate.
Image by Creative Commons