Contently Is Looking for Freelance Managing EditorsBy The Freelancer April 6th, 2020
Attention editorially-minded, independent solution-finders: Contently is hiring freelance managing editors, and we want you to apply.
As a freelance managing editor, you’ll help Contently clients—some of the world’s most recognizable brands—craft high-quality and engaging content that drives strategic business goals. A daily resource and partner for our clients, you’ll provide both editorial guidance and project management expertise.
Our freelance managing editors bring impressive copy and narrative chops to ensure the highest quality stories, while also wrangling contributors, managing a publishing schedule, and ensuring that each and every piece of content aligns with our client’s marketing strategy.
We pride ourselves on the variety of subject matter areas our editors can cover, so apply regardless of your particular beat or expertise. Generalists are always welcome. Special attention will be paid to those with finance and health and science experience.
You’ll work remotely on a freelance contract basis and must have access to necessary tools (computer hardware and software, reliable phone and Internet service, and so on).
General responsibilities of a managing editor:
- Initiate story-creation process
- Establish and/or enforce quality & standards
- Solicit and approve/decline pitches with feedback for writers
- Establish an editorial calendar that aligns with customer’s client plan
- Update content strategy and subsequent areas at direction of Customer Success team
- Edit content for grammar, spelling, tone, voice, verify facts, dates, and statistics
- Contributor Management: staffing writers, answering questions, clarifying briefs, approving drafts, etc.
- Enforce compliance to the publication’s style, content strategy, editorial policy, and publishing requirements with contributors
- Manage content workflow
- Manage and enforce deadlines, including communicating to customers and Customer Success changes in agreed-upon delivery dates
Manage customer relationships
- Attend in-person meetings when possible and/or necessary
- Provide editorial and talent updates during status calls
- Communicate with customers via the platform and email as needed
- Create a quarterly report on content performance and important metrics to share with client, including recommendations for future content
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Microsoft Office proficiency
- iWork Productivity Suite proficiency
- Adobe Suite is a plus
Education and Experience
- 5+ years of editorial experience
- Experience working with a remote team
Compensation is billed hourly and paid monthly. Our editors are typically paid a rate of $70/hour. If you’re interested, here’s how to apply:
- Register with Contently by creating a free Contently portfolio.
- Fill out the form below with your relevant experience and areas of expertise. A member of our editorial services team will be in touch with next steps, if appropriate.