Attention editorially-minded, independent solution-finders: Contently is hiring freelance Managing Editors who specialize in finance & tax content. Special attention will be given to those located in Toronto and/or familiar with Canadian policies.
As a freelance Managing Editor, you’ll help Contently customers—some of the world’s most recognizable brands—craft high-quality and engaging content that drives strategic business goals. A daily resource and partner for our customers, you’ll provide both editorial guidance and project management expertise.
Our freelance Managing Editors bring impressive copy and narrative chops to ensure the highest quality stories, while also wrangling freelance writers, managing a publishing schedule, and ensuring that each and every piece of content aligns with the customer’s marketing strategy.
We pride ourselves on the variety of subject matter areas our editors can cover. Special attention will be paid to those who have experience writing and editing for SEO.
You’ll work remotely on a freelance contract basis and must have access to necessary tools (computer hardware and software, reliable phone and Internet service, and so on).
General responsibilities of a Managing Editor:
- Initiate and facilitate the story-creation process
- Establish and/or enforce quality & standards
- Solicit and approve/decline pitches with feedback for writers
- Help establish an editorial calendar that aligns with customer’s content plan
- Update content strategy and subsequent areas at direction of Customer Success team
- Edit content for grammar, spelling, tone, voice; verify facts, dates, and statistics
- Freelancer management: staffing writers, answering questions, clarifying briefs, approving drafts, etc.
- Enforce compliance to the publication’s style, content strategy, editorial policy, and publishing requirements with writers
- Manage content workflow
- Manage and enforce deadlines, including communicating with customers and Customer Success regarding changes in agreed-upon delivery dates
Manage customer relationships
- Provide editorial and talent updates during biweekly/monthly status calls with customer and Customer Success
- Communicate with customers via the platform and email as needed
Education and Experience
- 5+ years of editorial experience
- Experience working with a remote team
Compensation is billed hourly and paid monthly. Our editors are typically paid a rate of $75/hour. If you’re interested, here’s how to apply:
- Register with Contently by creating a free Contently portfolio.
- Fill out THIS form with your relevant experience and areas of expertise.
If you’re a good fit, a member of our Creative Marketplace team will be in touch with next steps.