We talk to a lot of smart people here at The Freelancer. Over the years, we’ve interviewed Pulitzer Prize winners, entrepreneurs, and even famous journalists like Glenn Greenwald.
So we decided to gather the 25 best quotes we could find—on topics ranging from writing, negotiation, and managing clients—and put them on a SlideShare for easy browsing. The hope is that freelancers of all levels will find the advice invaluable.
If you’d like to see the original articles where these quotes are from, I’ll be including links below.
1. Glenn Greenwald Talks Freelancing and the Future of Investigative Journalism
2. 5 Veteran Freelancers Reveal Their Best Negotiating Tips
3. 5 Veteran Freelancers Reveal Their Best Negotiating Tips
4. This Startup Will Piss Off Publishers—And Make Freelancers Happy
5. We’re Not One Hack Away From Being Superman: 99U’s Maestro on How to Rock the Freelance Arena
6. We’re Not One Hack Away From Being Superman: 99U’s Maestro on How to Rock the Freelance Arena
7. How to Negotiate Better Rates Even When You Don’t Think You Can
8. How Getting Arrested on Assignment Inspired This Journalist’s New Business
9. How to Get a Byline in The New Republic
10. How to Get a Byline in Playboy
11. What You Need to Know to Get a Byline in The New York Times
12. You Screwed Up. How Do You Get Your Client Back?
13. Glenn Greenwald Talks Freelancing and the Future of Investigative Journalism
14. What Would Your Ideal Writing Studio Look Like?
15. What Would Your Ideal Writing Studio Look Like?
16. This Woman Gives Corporate Copywriting the Middle Finger—and Profits From It
17. ‘Pitching Into the Void’: Music Writers Share their Secrets to Success
18. Pulitzer Prize-Winner Michael J. Berens on Investigative Reporting, Wooing Editors, and Finding Death Certificates
19. Pulitzer Prize-Winner Michael J. Berens on Investigative Reporting, Wooing Editors, and Finding Death Certificates
20. The 5 Worst Things Writers Do That Drive Editors Nuts
21. 7 Contract Stipulations All Freelancers Should Know About
22. How to Make It as a Travel Writer, According to Four Veteran Freelancers
23. Journalism Has a Diversity Problem. How Can We Fix It?
24. The 9 Most Important Takeaways From Freelancers Union’s Annual Survey
25. Only 33% of Small Business Owners Make It 10 Years. So How Did These Freelancers Beat the Odds?